Monday, May 18, 2009

Grandmother's Pearls


One of the few things that I have hoarded and saved over the years are a set of fake plastic pearls with the matching bracelet that was given to me by my grandma Arlene not too long before she passed. I was 4. For 21 years I have kept them jammed in the back of a jewelry tower. They've been moved to college and back. I've cherished them being that they are only one of a few things I was ever given of hers. I adore my grandmother and my memories of her, and now, they've survived my first child.

I am so comforted by the fact that Kellan has taken interest in these. Although I admit I get a little anxious every time she stumbles or breathes while wearing them, I'm delighted. I promised myself that as soon as she understood the importance of these items and could be gentle and take care of them that I'd pass them down to her. Although she's not quite at that stage yet, I know I can let go long enough for her to play dress up in them for awhile (of course, while supervised!). She looks so pretty with her golden locks and her pearls. Even though it isn't easy getting a photo op with photographer Kellan anymore, I was able to grab a couple pictures to brag about before she snatched the camera :)

2 comments:

M said...

My gods, but you look like your grandmother. :)

Allison Gatt said...

Oh yes, there is no denying that we are all related lol. And that's not even a very good picture. It doesn't look completely like her