Sunday, September 18, 2011

Hyvää Syntymäpäivää Busia!

Happy Birthday to You,
Happy Birthday to You,
Happy 90th Birthday our Dear Busia!
Happy Birthday to You!

 
This year would be my Grandmother's 90th birthday.

The sun is shining, the temperature outside is perfect, and the smell of fall is in the air. I'm trying my hardest to make this day the happier of the two days that seem to weigh so heavy on me, but it's proving to be more difficult than usual. Not only is it my Grandmother's birthday today, it is my Grandfather's birthday as well. He's 92. Unfortunately this morning he was admitted to the hospital in preparation for an exploratory heart surgery scheduled for tomorrow morning. In fact, he's in surgery now getting a temporary pacemaker for the procedure. Not only does he have to spend this day alone without her, he has to do it utterly alone in a hospital room. He didn't get to visit her. This really bothers me to the core. Happy Birthday to him too, huh? What a crappy birthday present. This year is far from normal. You can just feel it.

Regardless, I brought my usual single stemmed red roses over to my Grandmother and wished her a happy birthday with the kids. We cleaned up her stone for her special day as Colin "fluffed" up the heads of our roses. Kellan of course had her usual laundry list of questions to ask about her Busia and needed to once again be shown where heaven is. "If she comes back to us you won't have to miss her anymore. I know you really miss her Mommy, I do too. Maybe we should leave her a picture of our house so she knows where to find us."


Here is our home Grandma. Feel free to stop by any time you'd like. Our door is always open for you. I wish it were as simple as Kellan sees it. I'd love to have a visit.


Arlene Elaine Taurence
September 18th, 1921


No comments: