Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Favorite Place on Earth: Happy Earth Day




Today is Earth Day. I wouldn't have remembered if a fellow blogger had not written about it. In celebration of this fine day, she posted a blog about her favorite place on Earth. As I sat down and thought about where my favorite place on Earth would be, I remembered a conversation I had had earlier this morning. I was disappointed that my spring overhaul trip to the Farm had been canceled due to "maintenance issues" (meaning workmen had not finished a project in time, which equals one UNHAPPY camper...)

The Farm is my favorite place on Earth.


Let me recap. "The Farm" is my Grandfather's second home about two and a half hours north of me. Some find it to be nothing special at all with it's green shag carpeting and it's 70's decor, but I love it. It's how my Grandmother left it. Deep down I know it gives my Grandfather a level of comfort. It gives me a little comfort too. That doesn't mean that I don't have big dreams and ideas for it the moment I walk in the door.... but ultimately there is something about this place that is peaceful and humbling to me. I have found that in all the places in the world that I've been to, sitting under the willow trees by the pond is my favorite spot to sit in.


I find that I'm at my happiest tooling around the acres of property finding projects to keep me busy, not paying attention to time or schedules. Nothing else matters...


I love that when I'm up there, no one else is. We're alone with no one else around...



And I am so happy being able to take my kids there and pass on the love and excitement that this home has given me for many years to come....


Happy Earth Day.



No comments: