Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"Ready, Set, Grow!"




Sadly, today was the last day of Kellan and Ethan's gardening class. For the past six weeks Tuesday morning has brought them wonder and delight. We'd walk down to the Emily Frank Cultural Barn to listen to a story, water our "caterpiller" full of vegetables the kids grew, and go on a treasure hunt for a flower that matched the color of the day. Sometimes, if we found our flowers early, I'd take the kids to the Koi pond to say "Hi!" to the fish. I'm definitely going to miss this special bonding time with these two.

By the end of the course we were able to build up our "caterpiller" of dirt to grow seeds. We planted radishes, beans, and wildflowers. Every class day the kids got to water their seeds all by themselves! Today Kellan was able to bring home 4 radishes she grew! I was so proud... They also strolled the property and picked flower pedals and leaves that they liked to make a pressed collage to take home with them, a reminder of the beauty the Earth creates. I can't wait to scrap Kellan's art :)



1 comment:

Loralee Choate said...

This makes me miss my yard. Going from 1/2 acre to approximately 2 ft. of grass is difficult.

At least I have 3 bathrooms, which is so much better than only one it totally makes up for not having a garden this year.