Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Becoming da Vinci

"Every artist dips her brush in her own soul,
and paints her own nature into her pictures."



For months now I have been dying to get Kellan into an art class. S
he loves to draw and doodle all over my important paperwork, so I thought giving her a constructive outlet might redirect her creativity and save my sanity, one hour per week at a time.

To be honest: She HATED painting. Oh hell no did she want that goop all over her fingers. She is so Steve about her hands getting dirty it's scary. She cried and cried and boobed and hollered and carried on for most the class because of this. She did, however, still manage to make a painting through it all that I have proudly displayed in our front room, which is now serving as her temporary playroom. I'm hoping that after a few classes she will relax and see that all the other kids are having fun getting messy. Only time will tell.



The "Mona Lisa"

After finger painting we moved on to gluing shapes on papers to make things. Today, Kellan was able to make a sailboat to take home. She actually was into it. Her fingers didn't have to get messy when using a glue stick and she was able to use her favorite creative medium: the marker. At the end the teacher brought around a glitter shaker for a finishing touch and Kellan thought that was pretty awesome. I'm so proud of her projects today. I can't wait to take her back next week!


No comments: